Thursday, June 12, 2008

Trucker strike in Espana es no buen for American traveler






I can´t help but laugh at my luck, or lack there of. Of course, when I plan a trip to Spain there would be a trucker strike that begins the DAY I arrive! The markets were soo busy this morning as people tried to stock up on items they knew would soon be gone until the strike was over. I have been able to understand a few conversations in Spanish about the strike and most agree with the truckers but don´t think it will work because they can´t afford to strike for long. Here is an article about the strike. http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/10/europe/spain.php

In any regard, the only way in which I have been directly tied to the strike was with my car rental this afternoon. With the strike many gas stations are out of gas and I do not want to risk running out of gas in an unfamiliar area with a car I am renting BY THE HOUR! I leave on Sunday for Madrid and hope that things are better by then, I´d hate to starve in Spain! I have heard the strike is much worse there. I guess as long as they don´t run out of jelato and cappuccino I am good to go. Jelato is my favorite thing about Europe so far, sad I know.

As I write this I am back in Las Ramblas, it is by far my favorite part of the city. It is almost 2:30 here and siesta started a bit ago. I think this is a perfect time to update my blog. I even found an internet cafe that is run by locals and not japenese so the rates are lower. Besides, trying to read Spanish on a computer operating system is so much easier then Japenese (I know that is hard to believe, wink).

After siesta I am going to tour the Gothic Quarter (which has 4 divisions) and then head out again tonight.

Last night I went to dinner around 11 at a wonderful tapas cafe called Mossimo and then wandered around for a few hours after that. Barcelona is pretty in the day time, but it is GORGEOUS at night. I noticed so many different things that I had completely missed in the daytime. I arrived back at my flat around 4am and slept until around 10 this morning. I can´t get over the leisurely style of life here. There were several tables that had finished their meals when we arrived at the restaurant. Our dinner was 3 hours long, and after we left, many of them were still there! In the states, as a former server, I would have been kicking them out of my tables! Jill told me that to have dinner with a friend in less than 2 hours is almost an insult, like you do not like hanging out with them.

Also, I have learned more about my flat mates! The Indian guy speaks English they swear, but I have yet to understand a word he is speaking. There are 4 young French students that share a room who are all in Barcelona studying international business. They speak flawless Spanish but do not speak much English. However, one of them has a cousin named Frock, yes Frock, I made her write it down to show me, that is also here from France studying international business. She speaks very good English and has been hanging out at the flat a good bit even though she is not staying there. I have enjoyed very much talking to her. I think I made her day when I told her she spoke English very well. She then said, "I dream of one day living in America!" It made me realize how great I´ve got it. She also told me this morning, "Why you so happy? You know no one and speak no language but you wear a smile most of the time. I no understand." HAHA, I guess that is the way we Americans are . . . blindly and foolishly optimistic! It made me laugh very hard, and then she apologized about 100 times if she offended me.

My other flat made, the local Spanish lady, deserves an entire paragraph of her own. She is crazy! She has told me her name 4 times and each time it is different! This morning she is Rosa but yesterday she was something that started with an S. Anyway, she woke me up at 6am this morning to tell me the heat was on. I thought at first I did not understand her, but come to find out, that was all she said. We then had to have an hour long conversation about how hot she was and how outraged she was that it had come on. Of course, I am only comprehending about every third word, so it was annoying to say the least. FINALLY, after an hour long conversation we decided to go back go sleep and to contact Dmitri, the flat owner, today. Oh wait, there is more! She woke me up again at 7 am accusing me of turning it up higher! She went over to the wall control (which is for the WATER HEATER not the central heat) and accused me of turning it up to make her angry. If this were an American woman I would been mad, but I just had to laugh. I explained that I had not been out of my bed and finally after much interrogation, in an instant, she decided it must have been those "other FRENCH boys". She said French like it was a cuss word. She also does not believe I am an American and said that I look and act more like someone from the UK then the US. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, but at least I guess I hide my Goose Creek roots well . . . or she is a complete fool, probably the latter. HAHA I was finally able to go to sleep again and when I woke this morning she tried AGAIN to talk about the same issue, but I politely said, "No hablo espanol" and continued to get ready and then ran out of the flat. I ran into Frock in the market while I was having breakfast at an outdoor bistro and told her what was going on. She said that this local woman is nice but "different". The last thing I will say about the issue is that I had a wonderfully cold shower this morning because she turned off the water heater thinking it was the central heater (imagine that some women just don´t listen!!!) Just kidding.

Anyway, I am off to find some lunch and then go back to the park to eat/rest/and plan my afternoon.

Much Love from Barcelona,

Derek :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

It sounds like you are meeting some interesting people and enjoying your experiences. Sorry about the truckers strike, but you always have a way of making the best of every situation. Keep safe and don't bring Rosa home with you HAHA.
Love you, Mom

Mom said...

I have been sharing your postings with the people here at work. Dr. McCoy wants to know what you think about the food over there. He did the same thing you are doing when he was 21 years old. He said it was such a great experience for him. Naturally he is curious about your trip and enjoys really your blog.
Love ya, Mom