Monday, June 9, 2008

My watch is synchronized!

Hola!

It's 11 pm and I'm sitting here at Meghan's computer waiting on the last of my laundry to be done so I can get it all crammed into my pack (thanks again Candyce for hooking up a deal) to be ready for take off in the morning! Gracious Dana is being kind enough to take me to the airport. I just double-checked and all of the places I will be visiting in Europe are on the CEST time schedule which is 6 hours ahead of US Eastern Standard. Example: It is currently 10:53 pm on Monday, June 9th but in Barcelona or Madrid (and everywhere else I am going) it is currently 4:53 am on Tuesday morning. My watch is officially synchronized!

I am so pumped to be going on what I know will be a life-changing journey but feel like there are a zillion things I have not yet taken care of here . . . oh well I guess, it will all work out, right? Within the past week I have finished my very first year of teaching, moved classrooms, moved out of my house in Charlotte, and now am embarking on this trip. Yes, I am officially homeless when I get back, but that worry is for another day.

In the past few days a few people have asked me what possessed me to plan such a trip (most with a scowl on his/her faces after I tell them I am staying in hostels) and I can honestly say I don't have one particular reason.

I think this trip for me is a number of things, it's a 1) celebration of the fact that I made it through college and am in a job/career that I LOVE! 2) chance for me to begin to see what else is out there in the world in an attempt to become more global, to truly live as a person who values life experiences more then material possessions 3) As all who travel Europe say, "A chance to find myself" but even more cliche to find "my place in this world". I am really excited about learning more about the religious and cultural social norms that people of Italy, Spain, France and Switzerland are accustomed to. I don't think I would be able to experience any of these things as richly and authentically had I signed on for a group trip or any commercialized form of tour.

Who knows, really . . . all I can say is that in 24 hours I will HOPEFULLY be fast asleep above the Atlantic dreaming of life experiences to come. Will I hit bumps along the way? OF COURSE. But what some people cannot wrap their heads around is the idea that until we are faced with challenging situations do we realize what we are truly capable of achieving on our own. Yes, I think I did steal that from a classroom poster somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for such kind words and support, and don't worry Crystal I will keep my blog "g" rated.

Also, Mom . . . please don't worry. You sounded upset on the phone when I talked to you just a bit ago. Remember, THOUSANDS of people take this journey each year and come back just fine. I promise I will come back in one piece (but maybe with a tattoo!!!) HAHA

Goodnight for now friends, much love from Meghan's computer.

Derek :)

No comments: