Saturday, June 14, 2008

My final day in Barcelona






Hola!

Today has been an exciting day that I did not plan at all. I finished yesterday, for the most part, seeing all of the major attractions in the city that I wanted to check out while I was here. I was able to get some great pics of the city last night, and ended up doing nothing else after that. Most of the cafes and tapas that I tried to go to last night (what have become my favorite spots) all had a cover of more than a couple euro so I politely declined. I am sure I will be fine on money, but this early in my trip I do not want to throw money away on gaining entrance to somewhere and later not have money to eat!

This morning I got up and decided to check out La Sagrada Familia which is another BEAUTIFUL work of Antoni Gaudi. I have mentioned him in a previous post I believe . . . he was a very talented architect/designer. All the people in Barcelona talk about him as if he is royalty. It turns out this church La Sagrada Familia, which he designed and worked on until his death, was a tribute to the royal family. It is amazing to think humans could make such a masterpiece. For an extra 2 euro I went up on the lift . . . BIG MISTAKE! I thought it might take us up to the second, third, or even fourth story of the actual structure. Sadly, I was WAY wrong. I am getting sick thinking about it, so let me just finish this paragraph by saying I felt like I was on the Tower of Terror at Disney World, only I was the only one screaming, the only one who spoke English, and no one else seemed to be phased by the experience! I did meet a couple from Texas in line to get into the church. Their daughter is studying abroad here for the summer. They had an extra coupon book that was given to them by their tour guide and I very much appreciated them saving me three euro on entry!

After my near death experience in the house of the Lord, I decided I needed a much more casual afternoon so I headed to the Villa Olimpica, which as you will remember, was home to the Olympics some years ago. That is where I found the beach!!! I have seen water everywhere since arriving but it has all been ports and docks but no real sand. However, today I saw the sand! Luckily, I had trunks in my daypack just in case, and so I spent most of my afternoon sleeping on the beach. Yes, get the mental picture, I did have my daypack locked to me with a bike lock!!! Get a good laugh, but I am traveling alone and my life is in that bag . . . I am not taking any chances! I also ran into Frock at the beach, I mentioned her a few days ago--she is the cousin of one of my French flat mates. I have decided that she is my guardian angel in Spain because I keep running into her in the most random of places. I guess, on the other hand, she could also be stalking me, but who knows. Oh wait, she just walked into the cafe now!

Just kidding . . . yeah, that one was a stretch. :)

It is right around 8 as I am writing this and tonight I don´t have a thing planned. I am going to attempt to wash some clothes in the SINK at my flat, this will be very interesting! I found a laundry facility around the corner but they charge 5 euro per load!!! That´s like ten bucks US currency!!! I am unwilling to shed that kind of dough just to be clean so I figured I would wash it at home in the sink tonight, squeeze the water out the best I can, and take it there in the morning to just dry it. Good plan, right? I am sure I will also walk through La Rambla tonight for one last nostalgic experience before I move on to Madrid tomorrow.

I am traveling by Eurrail (known to us Americans as the EuroRail) to get to Madrid and as of this moment I have no clue where the station is located. I have done the trip planner on their website a few minutes ago, but it really wasn´t much help. I am going to try to swing by their information center tomorrow morning before the train leaves at 13 something to see what the heck I am suppose to do! I am a bit concerned because it looks like I have to make 3 transfers to get to my destination of Madrid, Chamartin station. One transfer involves me walking from one station to another. LOL; I am laughing as I type this because tomorrow´s blog should be very hilarious to say the least! Don´t worry if I post late tomorrow night, I will be fine! I am staying at a hostel in Madrid that is actually an old castle. Spooky but still very cool.

I think that is all for now friends, I was able to chat with Meghan and Jeryl for a few minutes on AIM today and that made my day. I was telling Meghan I feel like I have been here so much longer than 5 days. I think it is because I am so busy in the daytime and because already I have experienced so much, and perhaps because I have yet to be in bed before 3 am. I guess in the days I have left there are WAY more experiences to come! I did decide to travel to Seville after Madrid, I have not updated my itinerary but I am cool with the idea of just winging it. I will def. be flying out of Barcelona on the same day, check back for more details.

Take care everyone, don´t forget to comment back!

Derek ;)

3 comments:

Aunt Rhonda said...

Hello there Derek I hope all is well and your having lots of fun.Sure sounds exciting. Can't wait until your visit with us so we can hear all about it. Don't worry about your mom She will be the GRAY haired lady you see when you get back. The prozac should kick in soon lol. You Stay safe and TAKE CARE, Lots of love Aunt Rhonda

Nikki said...

I'm still picturing the senorita/ra yelling at you about the AC thermostat diliemma....too freakin' funny!! Keep writing=)

Mom said...

I just love reading about all your adventures. I am so happy that you are having a good time. I do miss you and I will try real hard not to worry too much.
Love, Mom