Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I've been pondering . . .

So I've been pondering . . .

I tell people all the time that I have the greatest job in the world, and I truly believe it! However, at times, I wonder what it would be like if I did something else with my time. I ran into a buddy from college this weekend who is doing very well for himself as some sort of traveling accountant with a firm in Charlotte. He is on the road several weeks out of the month, visiting different places, a frequent flyer with company credit cards to boot. I would be lying if I said I was not becoming somewhat jealous as I talked to him and for the past few days have been wondering how I'd do in a different job . . . what I would do?

Is this just a case of "the grass is always greener"?

I had a full circle moment last night, however, when I was working with a student that stays after school a few days a week with me for tutoring. He is a HUGE football fan, and over Thanksgiving break he was given some football tickets to a game in Charlotte. As he was talking, he said he had enough for him and 2 friends. He then very casually went on to say, "Yeah, I thought I'd invite you and blank (another student) to go with me."

I just kinda smiled and looked at him and he goes, "What?"

I love the fact that these kids see me as a part of their lives, as a family member, as a friend. I started with this group last year in the hopes of having a great first year as a teacher, and now in my second year with them, I am realizing they have allowed me to be so much more. They have invited me into their lives. I am so connected to them and their families, that now as I am counting down the days to Christmas break, I am also secretly regretting the fact that with each passing day I am one day closer to having to say goodbye to these kids.

I am not blogging today to brag in any way, but to help myself work through the idea that although I don't have a company credit card, don't get to fly several days a week, or wear awesome suits to work, I get to spend 11 hours a day hanging with some of the coolest kids I know and that's OK with me for now.

The now-humbled teacher,

Derek :)

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Precious!!!! It makes me love that kid even more.